Attorney Anne MacArthur's Profile
- Supreme Court of the Unite States of America
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court – Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court – Northern District of Illinois (General and Trial Bars)
- State of Wisconsin
- State of Illinois
- 1991: LL.M., Family Policy, University of Wisconsin Law School
- 1987: J.D., cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School
Graduating Senior Award: Significant Legal Scholarship (Inaugural Recipient)
- 1983: B.A., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Interdisciplinary Degree: Sociology, Philosophy, and History
SELECT HONORS, CERTIFICATIONS, & APPOINTMENTS
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel: Top One Percent of Practicing Attorneys in the United States
- National Trial Lawyers: Top One Hundred Plaintiff's Personal Injury Counsel in the United States
- National Trial Lawyers: Best in the Midwest – Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- Named one of “Super Lawyers” in Plaintiff's Personal Injury (general)
- Top One Hundred Verdict in US: Employment Law and Civil Rights Law
- National Board of Trial Advocacy Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney;
Board Member (2016-2017); Wisconsin Coordinator for NBTA Membership (2016- Date)
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin, Office of Lawyer Regulation, District 9 (Dane County) Investigative Committee, Attorney Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV-Preeminent Rating: Civil, Administrative Law, and Personal Injury Litigation
- Fargo v. United National Insurance Company, Dane Co. Case No. 2003CV1112, a case tried to jury verdict in favor of plaintiff, selected as the “Case for Trial” (on liability only) at the 20th Annual Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Fourth Largest Jury Verdict in Wisconsin, Quinn v. Radke, 01-CV-85 (Marquette County)
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- National Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
Anne MacArthur Law, LLC, Madison, WI
Civil state and federal and appellate litigation practice focusing on plaintiffs' personal injury and employment law; retained counsel, Supreme Court of Wisconsin, Office of Lawyer Regulation (2012-2017); Mediator, Resolute Systems (2020-date).
Supreme Court of Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation, Madison, WI Assistant Litigation Counsel
Prosecuted charges of disciplinary violations and reciprocal discipline
Habush Habush & Rottier S.C., Madison, WI
Shareholder (2005-2011); Associate (2000-2004)
Trial and litigation attorney; handled hundreds of personal injury and general negligence cases including serving as first or second chair counsel in every aspect of litigation; of numerous state and federal lawsuits; litigated coverage and lien issues; assisted managing partner with supervision of auto/general negligence team; served on firm's insurance committee; served as firm-wide resource on issues relating to lien enforcement under federal law; presented in-house lectures on the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute and amendments adding reporting obligations, medical set-aside account, and new penalties.
Rathje, Woodward, Dyer & Burt, Wheaton, IL
General practice and civil litigation firm; performed litigation in various areas including family law; trusts and estates; commercial litigation; personal injury subrogation.
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit - Office of the Staff Attorney, Chicago, IL
Deputy Senior Staff Attorney (1995-1998); Senior Motions Attorney (1994); Staff Motions Attorney (1992-1993)
Administered motions unit and worked with all active and senior judges regarding the Court's substantive motions practice; participated in the development of case processing policy; provided training for and supervision of staff and motions attorneys; assisted in the supervision of deputy and pro se clerks regarding case filings; managed civil and criminal appeals; presented seminars to practicing bar on criminal and civil appellate practice and procedure; assisted in preparation of published and unpublished opinions and orders; prepared legal memoranda on substantive motions and emergency matters; made recommendations on summary dispositions; screened cases for potential jurisdictional problems.
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Chicago, IL Law Clerk to Magistrate Judge (now Senior District Judge) Elaine E. Bucklo Drafted reports and recommendations on dispositive pre-trial motions, discovery disputes and post-judgment matters in federal question and diversity cases.
Law Offices of Anne MacArthur, Madison, WI
Solo practice focusing on defense of child protection cases and civil and appellate litigation support for area firms; retained counsel by Center for Public Representation, University of Wisconsin Law School regarding class action lawsuit over home health care coverage resulting in $1 million settlement.
Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office, Milwaukee, WI
Assistant District Attorney with rotations in Child Protection Unit and Domestic Violence charging prosecutor.
VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS
- Barnes v. Wisconsin Department of Corrections, 18-cv-105-jdp (W.D. WI) Co-counsel on employment disability rights case resulting in jury verdict of $600,000.00 compensatory damages award.
- Office of Lawyer Regulation v. Hahnfeld, 2013 WI 14 (successful prosecution of multi- count complaint involving misappropriation of client fees and lack of competency). Office of Lawyer Regulation v. Riordan, 2011 AP 0984 0984 (successful prosecution of attorney for unfounded derogatory remarks about Judge upheld against First Amendment challenge). See “Lawyer's Religious Beliefs do not Excuse Unfounded Derogatory Remarks About Judge,” 29 ABA/BNA LAWYERS MANUAL OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT 45 (Jan. 16, 2013).
Office of lawyer Regulation v. Siderits, 2013 WI 2. See “Manipulating Billing Records to Get Bonus Results in Yearlong Suspension for Lawyer,” 29 ABA/BNA LAWYERS MANUAL ON PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT 44-45 (Jan. 16, 2013) (successful prosecution of multi-count complaint against lawyer involving misappropriation of firm funds; affirmed after oral argument before Supreme Court of Wisconsin).
In Re: the Minor Settlement of Herrick, Columbia County Case No. 2008CV125 (secured policy limit settlement of $500,000 on behalf of minor who suffered severe facial and dental injuries).
- Brian J. Collicott, et al. v. Whole Foods, Inc., et al., Chippewa County Case No. 2005CV458. See Wisconsin Law Journal, Verdicts and Settlements (July 5, 2010) (3-million- dollar settlement on behalf of bus passenger in mass casualty bus crash) (second chair).
- Estate of Branden Atherton, et al. v. Whole Foods, Inc., et al., Chippewa County Case No. 2005CV450. See Wisconsin Law Journal, Verdicts and Settlements (June 22, 2009) ($1.5 million-dollar settlement for wrongful and pre-death conscious pain and suffering on behalf of bus passenger in mass casualty bus crash) (second chair)
- Fargo v. United National Insurance Company, Dane Co. Case No. 2003CV1112 (Dec. 5, 2005) (general negligence action successfully tried to jury against church for failure to maintain church bell against defenses of recreational immunity, trespass, and hidden/undiscoverable defect).
- Quinn v. Radke, Marquette County Case No. 2001-CV-85. See Wisconsin Law Journal, Top Verdicts for 2002 (Feb. 11, 2004) ($112,000 verdict for elderly plaintiff in two- dog dog bite case where dog ownership and prior bite were disputed and with special damages of less than $3000.00 including $22,000.00 awarded for loss of consortium).
- Neuser v. Ecolab, Inc., et al., Jefferson County Case No. 2003CV043. $500,000+ settlement in mass casualty 2002 bus crash near Ixonia, Wisconsin (second chair).
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION PRESENTATIONS
Wisconsin Defense Council Winter Meeting, Waukesha, WI
Co-panelist on “Is Mediation an Ethics-Free Zone” for Winter meeting of Wisconsin Defense Council.
National Board of Trial Advocacy Tournament of Champions, hosted by the University of California-Berkeley Law School:
Presiding Judge for assigned multi-sectional Preliminary Elimination Rounds of national civil trial litigation advocacy competition.
Institute for Paralegal Education, Eau Claire, WI
Co-presented nationwide webinar for paralegals addressing the law of proof of damages in personal injury cases; see Elaine Jensen & Anne MacArthur, Damages in Personal Injury: An A-Z Guide for Paralegals, Institute for Paralegal Education (2016), ipe.nbi-sems.com; Product ID 72356SVDM] [out of print; copy available upon request]
Wisconsin Association of Justice, Milwaukee, WI
Presented three-hour legal ethics CLE seminar for the Wisconsin
Association of Justice Winter Conference on ethical issues encountered in plaintiff's personal injury litigation.
Wisconsin Association of Justice, Green Bay, WI
Presenter on ethical issues for members of the Wisconsin Association of Justice at Spring Conference.
Habush Habush & Rottier SC, Oshkosh, WI
Presenter for former firm on ethical issues confronting personal injury lawyers.
Dane County Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division, Madison, WI Presented lecture on common mistakes in personal injury practice to the Young Lawyers Division of the Dane County Bar Association.
Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers, Milwaukee, WI
Presenter on medical set-aside accounts under the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in worker compensation and third-party liability cases at Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers Winter Conference.
Federal Criminal Appellate Practice for the Court-Appointed Attorney under the Federal Criminal Justice Act (circuit-wide)
Presenter at training seminars for attorneys appointed under the Federal Criminal Justice Act.
Nuts and Bolts of Appellate Practice, Chicago, IL
Presenter at training seminar for Young Lawyers Section of the Chicago Bar Association on Federal Appellate Practice in Chicago, Illinois.
Seventh Circuit Judicial Conference, Indianapolis, IN
Panelist on Bench and Bar Relations, Appellate Practice Panel, Seventh Circuit Judicial Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.
TEACHING AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
Loyola University of Chicago Law School-Chicago, Illinois
Courses: Developed and taught curriculum for Inaugural Civitas Child Welfare Law Legal Research/Writing Course and Moot Court (1993-1994); taught Legal Writing/Research; Moot Court (1992-1993).
University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, WI
Law Lecturer: Developed and taught curriculum for Family Law (Spring; Summer).
University of Miami Law School, Coral Gables, FL
Law Instructor: Developed and taught curriculum for Legal Writing/Research; Moot Court; Children and the Law; Domestic Relations.